In his book “The World Is Flat” Thomas Friedman talks about how the internet has opened up new avenues of business and made it possible for someone with a laptop and a reasonably fast internet connection, to make money. A website is, of course, necessary, but it is only the first step. In this article, let’s take a deep dive into what works and what doesn’t when you are trying to make money online.
The internet has made it much easier for you to start your own business with very little funds. Additionally, it allows you to easily manage and scale your business. All you have to do is to be clear and straightforward in your approach right from conception till execution. Everyone knows that they would need a website to start their business.
However, it is the series of latter activities that distinguish the “winners” from the rest. The positive news for you is that it is not that hard to achieve the winning edge by following the result oriented digital strategies. All you need is to focus on your end goals and persevere. In this article, we are going to present some vital tips that will help you market your business online:
Prepare sales copies not fake copies
Be careful while preparing our sales copies. Using highly promising language without any solid support to back your statements can do more harm than good. As a solo entrepreneur, you cannot use the same style that you used while working for your last MNC employer with multiple branches. It simply doesn’t align with your “real profile”.
- Consumers of today have become smarter and they love to drill into the realities before acting on your sales copy. On the positive note, it allows you to be “just yourself”
- Highlight the “strengths” of being an individual entrepreneur or a bootstrapped start-up like personal attention and adaptability
- Don’t glorify but Storify your profile as people connect quickly with engaging people stories
- Long sales copies miss the point and test readers’ patience. So, be concise in your sales copy
- Use the language that highlights mutual benefits- for instance how they would help you grow and you would help them get personalized services tailored to their needs
Focus on user experience
The ultimate aim of your digital strategies is to bring the audiences to your website and engage them in the activity that benefits your business. However, you miss the opportunity if your website is either unavailable or is very slow.
- Downtime or slow speed waste your marketing budget by discouraging the visitors from browsing your site or making a purchase
- Online Infrastructure services like web hosting plans determine the speed and performance of your site so be careful while choosing the right plan for you
- E-commerce sites experience more fluctuations due to constant activities. So instead of shared hosting plans, you can purchase more powerful plans like SSD VPS Cloud Hosting that provides 3X benefits. Suffice to know that it ensures maximum availability, very high speed, stable performance, and seamless scaling to support fluctuating performance
- Large images consume many MBs and GBs. So, it is better to avoid them
- Too many add-ons can also make your site sluggish. Avoid them too.
- Ensure that you are using the updated versions of CMS and other backend software as outdated versions can also cause slow speed
Use Reviews wisely and in right formats
People love to make sure that the new product that they are going to purchase is really worth the amount they are going to pay for it. More importantly, they are wary of bad products and substandard quality. So, actively encourage your satisfied customers to post reviews and exhibit them prominently across different digital channels where your business is present-right from your website to the social media channels and even the appropriate place in blogs or guest posts.
- Positive reviews reaffirm the quality of your products and encourage the new audience to purchase them
- Substantiate your reviews with tangible evidence like proof of purchase, product image (for physical products), etc. to assure people about its genuineness
- Distinctly highlight the repeat customers or the old clients (who are with you since you started- even if it is for 4-6 months) by posting their multiple reviews at different points of time that assures the audience about consistency
- Use short video testimonials as it connects better with the client and also possesses a more realistic appeal. Likewise, JPG files of handwritten legible reviews can have a better impact than the general reviews
Use creative and cost-efficient ads (Hint: Start with Facebook Ads)
Ads are arguably the best way to sell your stuff online. For the uninformed and skeptics, it is now possible to continue having control over the ads even after they are displayed. Thanks to the services like Facebook Ads you can now have a better say in determining the audience to whom your ads will be served
- You can define the demographics like age, gender, region, education, etc. to make sure that your ad should reach only the most relevant audience
- You can take full control of your budget as the model allows you to determine how much you want to spend and how frequently
- Additionally, many Facebook audiences use the platform for “being inspired” so their mentality syncs well with your objectives
Make people act fast
The internet audience can easily connect and disconnect with the content they read online. They have a short span of attention and thus you need to prompt them to act quickly. Ensure that whether the audience visits your site watches the ad or go through your social page there should be some element of urgency there. It will encourage more visitors to act quickly
- Your main objective is to make people act before they leave your platform
- Limited sales offers are the best ways to encourage people to take prompt decisions
- New product launches and exclusive limited period offers also encourage people to make a quick purchase
- It is also a good practice to collect the email address and name of your site visitors to make a database that you can use for email marketing
- Many sites open with pop-up asking visitors to provide mail address and name before they could enter the site it looks demanding. It would be better to allow the client to browse your site unconditionally and show the popup (for name and mail) after say, 10-20 seconds.
- Accompany the popup with some beneficial message like- Win exciting discounts and free products in sweepstakes. Just provide your mail address!
- Countdown timer also highlights the urgency and prompts visitors to act
Starting your own internet business might not be a difficult thing but it takes some efforts to turn it into a profitable venture. In this article, we have mentioned some key points that will help the readers to turn their digital business into a rewarding activity that generates a regular stream of income. Instead of focusing on low term quick success tips we have focused on the strategies that can help you enjoy long term prosperity and building credibility in the market.