The video calling culture is growing rapidly in both ways, either professional or personal. And the whole credit goes to the COVID-19 pandemic that caused lockdown like situations across the globe.
But now gadgets are also becoming smarter with the situation and Sony also joins the pack. Now Sony will allow you to use its digital cameras as a webcam. Yes! you got it right, as work from home increasingly becomes the new normal, the need to have better quality webcams has risen.
Notably, Panasonic and Olympus have already launched software to turn their mirrorless cameras into webcams. And now Sony has released a new desktop application called ‘Imaging Edge Webcam’. This app allows users to easily transform their Sony digital camera into a high-quality webcam by simply connecting to a PC via USB.
Sony’s new software is compatible with several recent Sony DSLRs and mirrorless models. However, the app currently works only on Windows 10 PC or laptops. But you can not have it on your Mac machine. Let’s hope this app makes its way to macOS very soon.
Anyways, we are here to tell you about how you can use your Sony Camera as a webcam on your Windows PC & Laptop. So that you get crystal clear video quality on your next Zoom or Skype call. So let’s get started.
Steps To Use Your Sony Camera as a Webcam
1. First, download Sony’s new “Imaging Edge Webcam” software from its official website after selecting your camera model.
2. Now enable the necessary settings on your Sony camera to connect it to your personal computer.
Note: Since every camera model has different settings. So, you can use Sony’s official guide to connect your camera with the computer.
3. Take your camera and physically connect it to your PC using the included data cable/USB.
4. Launch the new “Imaging Edge Webcam” software on your PC.
5. During live distribution/web conferencing, change the relevant settings to use your Sony camera as the default camera. Remove the built-in camera of your PC or laptop from the default setting.
6. So now you can start your next video call with crystal clear video quality.
By the above-mentioned steps, you can easily start to use your Sony Camera as a webcam for your PC. Meantime, you can also use it as a face-cam when you are streaming your favorite games on Twitch, YouTube, or Facebook Gaming. Now enjoy the elevation on your video quality while conference calls, as even your colleagues’ high-end laptop didn’t match the quality offered by your DSLR.